The intense flavor and slightly nutty texture make this cookie the perfect pairing for a steaming mug of coffee or cocoa. Mmmm! Of course, it helps that you can buy Gefen Chestnuts already roasted and shelled. Use 'em straight out if the bag! So, what are you waiting for? Whip yourself up a batch of these cookies now!
3/4 cup Gefen chestnuts, roasted and shelled
1 cup sweet rice flour
1 stick plus 3 Tablespoons margarine
1 egg yolk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup confectioner's sugar
4 Tablespoons corn starch
1 teaspoon cinnamon, for sprinkling
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit.
2. Grind the chestnuts in a food processor until a coarse flour is formed. In the bowl of a mixer, combine ground chestnuts, sweet rice flour, vanilla sugar, baking powder, confectioner's sugar, and corn starch.
3. Add margarine and egg yolk. Mix just to combine.
4. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Form tablespoon sized balls, place on baking sheet and flatten slightly.
5. Bake 20 - 25 minutes, until cookies are golden. Sprinkle cinnamon over cookies when cool.
Yields: 2 dozen cookies